Good morning, I.T. entrepreneurs. Here are five technology news insights, gossip, chatter and plenty more to start your day for Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2015.
Actually, today's update involves seven items to sip on.
7. IRS Hack: The IRS hack apparently involved 330,000 accounts -- up from an earlier estimate of 114,000 accounts, according to revised numbers from the Internal Revenue Service. If your account was hacked the IRS will apparently alert you soon. But if you were really hacked, how can you be sure that the alert is truly coming from the IRS?
6. Google Smartphone Setback: Project Ara, Google's effort to promote "modular" smartphones built from components that snap together, has hit a bump. A tweet from the project team included this hash tag: #yeswearelate. For the lazy eyes among us, that's "Yes We Are Late." Ara tests are now delayed until 2016.
5. OpenStack Simplified?: What if there was a way to deploy OpenStack more rapidly -- on your existing servers -- as a private cloud solution? That's the idea behind Platform9, which just raised $10 million in Series B funding. By the way, it sounds like Platform9 will also manage the ongoing system for you.
4. Join Me Today: At 1pm ET/10am PT for Tech News Today, featuring Mike Elgan as the anchor, a range of surprise guests, and a few insights from yours truly. I co-anchor every Tuesday.
3. LinkedIn for Small Business? Sort of. Instawork is a social media platform that links small business owners with job candidates. I'm intrigued and I'm going to give it a look... But I also need to spend more time over on another startup social media platform called ComLinked. Stay tuned for more thoughts on that down the road.
2. Jumping Into the Tank?: I'm set to attend a LaunchPad Long Island's local "Shark Tank" gathering this evening at NYIT. A year ago, I suspect I might have been one of the potential investors. But I found potential angel engagements to require a ton of research and due diligence. Instead of opening my wallet to fund startups, I've been doubling down on After Nines Inc.'s own R&D with Amy Katz... Still, tonight's local Shark Tank-like gathering is too tempting to avoid.
1. Join Me Tonight: For our latest podcast (Episode 45), featuring Jitterbit CEO George Gallegos. We'll explore how businesses can leverage cloud APIs to integrate SaaS and on-premises applications. Plus, how to keep all of those connections working even as software vendors make specific changes to their own applications.
Subscribe: Want to receive our blog headlines in your inbox each business day (except Fridays, when we're off the grid)? Then subscribe to our enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.