Good afternoon, I.T. entrepreneurs. Amid a late start to my day, here are five technology updates, insights, news developments and plenty more to keep your day chugging along for Tuesday, June 30, 2015.
Actually, today's update involves six items to sip on.
6. Last Day of Q2: So, how did your business perform in Q2? You can obsess about a few deals that you didn't quite close -- or you can remain focused on long-term relationship building and sustainable business development. I'll focus on the latter.
5. Cisco Buys Security Provider: The networking giant is acquiring OpenDNS -- a SaaS-based networking security specialist -- for about $635 million. The deal is expected to close in Q1 2016 -- which is sometime later this summer for Cisco, and around the time that the CEO crown shifts from John Chambers to Chuck Robbins. I covered OpenDNS quite a bit in a previous life. Yada, yada, yada. Let's just say Cisco was wise to snap up this company...
4. Exit Before the HP Breakup: That's what Bill Veghte -- head of HP's enterprise group -- is doing... before HP splits into two companies around Nov. 1. Where is Veghte heading? Too soon to say... but quite a few HP executives have landed at Oracle and SAP in recent years.
3. Tech Bubble Warning to CIOs: Yes, the warnings are getting louder. And they go something like this. CIOs should carefully check IT company balance sheets before acquiring hardware, software or cloud services. The warning focuses heavily on IT startups that have lofty valuations -- which could come crashing back down to earth (or worse) if/when the bubble pops. The big question: Are startups willing to open their books to inquiring CIOs?
2. Larger Vision: Congrats to ConnectWise Co-Founder David Bellini. He's heading to Europe to lead an international push that will recruit more technology companies onto ConnectWise's business management platform. Hmmm... Three key takeaways. First, the company's customer focus is now all technology companies. Second, the company's software is a business management platform. Third, growth will come globally. Put all those pieces together and that forms a much bigger picture... Can you see it, too?
1. Next Move: And what's my next move? Actually, it's tactical -- I'm co-hosting Tech News Today with Mike Elgan at 1pm ET/10am PT today. Tune in for the latest on Apple's new streaming music service, and plenty more. In addition to the tactical stuff, it's a pretty safe bet After Nines Inc. is brainstorming some strategic plans for the long haul. Yup... same teaser, different day. But one day, I suspect, it won't be a teaser...
Subscribe: Want to receive our blog headlines in your inbox each business day (except Fridays, when we're off the grid)? Then subscribe to our enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.