Good mid-morning, I.T. entrepreneurs. Here are five technology news observations, insights, rumors, miracle diets and more to start your day for Monday, April 20, 2015.
Actually, today's update involves nine items.
9. Late Start: I got a bit distracted this morning working on a last minute project for one of the world's largest IT companies. Mum's the word on the project... for now. Thanks to the source that reached out to After Nines Inc. for the help. We were happy to assist.
8. Big Numbers: WhatsApp now has 800 million active users, according to CEO Jan Koum's Facebook page. The app allows you exchange messages without having to pay for SMS.
7. WebSense and More: Raytheon is buying Websense -- but there's a bigger story unfolding. Together, Raytheon, Websense and Vista Equity Partners are forming a new cybersecurity company valued at $2.3 billion. The new company will offer a "new level of defense-grade cybersecurity." It's unclear whether the new company will carry the Websense name.
6. IT Service Desk for Millennials: Freshdesk has raised $50 million to "keep up with millennials," according to Freshdesk President Dilawar Syed. I'll share more insights on that later today.
5. IBM Earnings: They're due out later today. Perhaps foolishly, back in February I predicted that IBM had bottomed out amid its transition to more cloud, mobile and analytics offerings. IBM's latest earnings will provide a reality check after markets close today. Either way, I'll likely remain long on IBM's stock because the company's recurring revenue portfolio is strengthening (at least in my mind).
4. Stop Service Revenue Leakage: That's the message MaintenanceNet VP of Global Sales Justin Crotty will deliver on April 30. Crotty knows a thing or two (or more) about services revenue -- having built and expanded recurring revenue models at Ingram Micro and NetEnrich before joining MaintenanceNet earlier this year. I'm curious to hear his advice on mitigating (or eliminating) service revenue leakage.
3. Data Kills Middle Management: That's the spin in this article, suggesting that startups are leveraging data to keep head counts low and even eliminate management positions. But before you weep the death of middle management, consider this: Data is also creating thousands of jobs for big data experts, data scientists, analytics experts and other data-driven analysts.
2. Join Me: I'm set to co-anchor Tech News Today on Tuesday, April 21, at 1:00 p.m. ET. Then, I'll be back Tuesday evening at 9:01 p.m. ET for our latest podcast -- Episode 32 of Good Evening IT Entrepreneurs.
1. Scaling Down (And Up): A quick reminder. I doubt I will update our blog on Fridays -- freeing me up a bit more to work on some longer-term R&D that could keep me and Amy Katz busy for the next 10 years or so...
Subscribe: Want to receive our blog headlines in your inbox each business day? Then subscribe to our enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.