Week One at After Nines Inc. is coming to a close. So far, so good. Next up, I'm heading to a real-life Del Boca Vista in Florida (Sept. 22-26) for some personal business. But keep checking in at 9:01 a.m. ET each business day, and After Nines Inc. will keep delivering the goods. Here's the latest.
5. Oracle CEO Change: Yes, Larry Ellison is shifting from CEO to CTO. And that shifts Mark Hurd and Safra Catz into the co-CEO position. Sort of ironic, considering Oracle used to poke fun at the co-CEO situation over at SAP (which has since ended). More irony: As CTO, Ellison isn't even Oracle's most important technical mind. For the longer-term play, I'm paying attention to EVP of Systems John Fowler. My reasoning: Attend any major Oracle conference -- especially those featuring analyst briefings -- and Fowler is the guy describing Oracle's technical vision, direction and R&D priorities.
4. Captain Obvious: The company that invented the Mac apparently has started to sell iPhone 6 and 6 Plus smartphones in stores today. Lots of people are waiting in line to buy the devices from what I've heard. I haven't seen the lines first-hand. I'm over at Toys R Us, waiting in line for the 2024 re-launch of Cabbage Patch Kids. I love being early for big trends -- especially retro trends.
3. Safe From NSA's Prying Eyes: Google and Apple increasingly plan to leverage encryption technology. Both companies say the approach means even they can't peek at the encrypted data. But does that mean the NSA really can't, either?
2. Attention Home Depot Shoppers, And Hackers: Home Depot estimates 56 million payment cards may have been compromised in a five-month attack on its payment terminals, noted The Wall Street Journal. The big question: Is Lowes celebrating, or scrambling to see if its systems suffered a similar break in?
1. Next Moves: As I mentioned at the top of this blog, I'll be Orlando the week of Sept. 22-26 working on some personal business. But I'm also available for meetings if you happen to be in and around the area. Give me a shout: joe@AfterNines.com.
Bonus - Newsletter: If you'd like to receive our daily corporate blog in your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter. It launches Oct. 6, with deliveries Monday through Friday on or about 9:01 a.m. ET.
Thanks for reading and for tuning in After Nines at, well, 9:01 a.m. daily (get it?). -jp