Good Monday morning. Amy Katz and I are looking forward to a great week. We're set to pull back the curtain on this website. We're talking to some key industry sources. And I'm heading off to the latest Golden Seeds angel investor gathering in New York City. But before we put those wheels in motion, here are five technology headlines, rumors and gossip to start your business day for Sept. 15, 2014.
5. Oracle Still Buying: Oracle has acquired Front Porch Digital, a content storage management company that helps migrate, manage and monetize large-scale media assets. The database giant has also completed the Micros buyout -- pushing the company deeper into point of sale solutions. But what's the big picture at Oracle? Stay tuned. CEO Larry Ellison and his lieutenants are set to announce quarterly results later today (Sept. 15, 2014).
4. Google+ Gets More Social?: The search giant has acquired Polar, an opinion tracking service, to help bolster the Google+ social media platform.
3. HP's Next CEO?: When Hewlett-Packard acquired Eucalyptus last week, the deal included Eucalyptus CEO Marten Mickos shifting to a senior VP/GM role running HP's cloud business. If Mickos boosts HP's cloud revenues, I think he'll be on the potential shortlist of executives to potentially succeed CEO Meg Whitman down the road. Mickos previously built and sold MySQL to Sun Microsystems. He's an expert on enterprise software and ISV partnerships -- two areas HP has stumbled badly over the past two decades.
2. Low Price, Big Deal: Google Android One -- a $105 smartphone -- is taking on the market in India. If it succeeds, Android One could rock additional IT markets worldwide...
1. Big Numbers, No Decision: Apple says the Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus received a record 4 million preorders during the first 24 hours the devices were available for purchase. Although I'm due an upgrade from my iPhone 4, I'm not among the early buyers. I'm still on the fence between iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S5.
BONUS: Subscribe to our newsletter: Want to receive our blog updates at 9:01 a.m. ET each business day? Simply subscribe to our newsletter right here.
That's all for today. Remember to check back daily for this blog entry -- which goes live at 9:01 a.m. ET each business day.