Good morning, I.T. entrepreneurs. Here are five technology observations, news nuggets, rumors, gossip and plenty more to start your day for Tuesday, Dec. 2, 2014.
Actually, today's update involves nine items.
9. Hadoop Cools Off?: The open source, Big Data platform has a lot of momentum. But that doesn't mean all is perfect in Hadoop land. A case in point: Hortonworks, which is preparing to go public, is valued at about $600 million. Sounds impressive. Unless you realize Hortonworks had been valued at $1.1 billion earlier this year. Simply put, it sounds like Hortonworks isn't growing as quickly as previously expected. We'll be watching to see how other Hadoop providers (Cloudera, etc.) perform in the months ahead.
8. Behind the Scenes: A few readers have asked me for my take on Apollo (a private equity firm) acquiring Presidio. For now, mum's the word on a few things. But here's a prediction: Apollo is going to invest to grow Presidio's business... .... ...
7. A New Outlook on Email: Microsoft's buyout of Acompli could have big implications in the mobile email app market. Acompli to date has focused on iOS and Android -- not Windows. Yes, Microsoft plans to connect the dots between Acompli and Outlook. But don't look for this to be a Windows-first push. Instead, it's a mobile-first push -- and that means iOS and Android will remain a core focus for Acompli.
6. Digital Snackage: At long last, Girl Scout Cookies will soon be available for purchase online. I'm thinking of sending famed Digital Snackage expert Karl Palachuk a few boxes as a belated thank you for the how-to IT books he sent me...
5. Two for Tuesday: Don't forget to join me today, as I guest anchor Tech News Today with Mike Elgan at 1:00 p.m. ET/10:00 a.m. PT. You can watch it live at http://live.twit.tv or check out the archived show at www.twit.tv/tnt. Then, come back tonight at 9:01 p.m. ET for our weekly evening podcast, Good Evening I.T. Entrepreneurs (www.AfterNines.com/CEO).
4. Hasta La Vista, Baby: Stephen Hawking is warning that artificial intelligence could end mankind. Ironically, I'm more worried about humankind's natural stupidity wiping us out first.
3. New Gig?: The former leader of a cloud backup company is... Well, that's all I have to say about that (for now).
2. Same Concept, Different Location: Unpitch -- a low-pressure gathering of angel investors and entrepreneurs -- is gaining momentum across the country. After the New England Venture Capital Association recently hosted a successful Unpitch event, another group (Jeff Brown of the Palm Beach Angels) is launching a similar Unpitch gathering in Southern Florida. It's set for January 14 (2015) at American Social in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
1. On the Road: I'll be in Manhattan a few times over the next few weeks. Care to meet? Drop me an email, Joe@AfterNines.com.
Subscribe: Want to receive our blog headlines in your inbox each business day? Then subscribe to our enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.