Good morning, I.T. entrepreneurs. Here are the top five technology observations, news nuggets, rumors, gossip, insights and chatter to start your day for Friday, Nov. 7, 2014.
Actually, this update involves six news nuggets. Take a look:
6. Home Depot Heist: The home improvement retailer says 53 million email addresses (along with information for 56 million payment cards) were taken during a data breach earlier this year. What's next? Home Depot customers should be especially wary of potential phishing scams in the months ahead.
5. When A Successor Leaves: Zein Abdalla, a potential successor to Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi, is leaving PepsiCo on December 31. I realize most I.T. entrepreneurs aren't seeking to build a company the size of PepsiCo. But Abdalla's exit made me wonder: What percentage of small businesses have a CEO succession plan -- and what happens to that plan when a potential successor heads for the exit? More thoughts soon.
4. Did You Hear That?: Amazon has introduced Echo, a voice-recognition home appliance with a built-in virtual assistant named Alexa. Echo can process voice commands, create reminders/lists, and answer queries. Why should I.T. entrepreneurs care about this consumer device? Because if you're currently focused on multi-touch applications, Echo is the latest evidence that the voice-driven user interface could go mainstream sooner than you think.
3. AVG Technologies to Be Acquired?: The security software maker has been approached about being acquired, according to The Wall Street Journal. The chatter apparently involves private equity firms and perhaps even technology company, AVG itself has been buying up tech firms. Here's the spin from After Nines Inc.
2. Did You Just Say That?: So you're an I.T. entrepreneur seeking to raise angel funding or venture capital. Here are the five worst things you can say during your pitch to potential investors, care of Forbes:
- "Our numbers are conservative."
- "Please sign our NDA."
- "There's no competition."
- "Which of my two ideas do you like better."
- "I'll have to get back to you on that."
- Oh, and a bonus Number 6 from me: "How do you think we should use the money?"
1. 2015 Forecast Update: Gartner has updated its top 10 strategic technology trends for 2015. What are the updates? Hey, I just woke up. Let me get back to you on that with a separate blog post later today.
Subscribe: Want to receive our blog headlines in your inbox each business day? Then subscribe to our enewsletter. Thanks to those who already have.